Sunday, December 9, 2012

When God is Your Lifeboat

Kevin Roose over at the Daily Intel of New York Magazine pointed me over this column by Red State's Erick Erickson who while believing that Mitt Romney will win on Tuesday with an Electoral College split of 285 to 253 over the President also exposes one of the key tenets of right-wing Christian evangelicalism especially as practiced in the United States. Erickson writes:
My world view is pretty simple. I think this world is destined to go to hell in a hand basket by design (his italics, my bold). I think things are supposed to go to pot. So if Barack Obama wins, I won’t be upset. If Mitt Romney wins, I won’t be running through the streets cheering. I think, either way, it is all part of the design. The world is going down hill. Barack Obama re-elected just gets us down the slippery slope faster in my view. For others, it is Mitt Romney who does.
If your way of thinking is that it is God's plan to have this Earth go to hell because in that said aforementioned deity is your lifeboat then what does it matter if life on this planet goes to "hell in a hand basket." Such thinking is delusional and Mr. Erickson in any other country would be dismissed as a lunatic not to mention as a seriously misguided practioncer of Christian theology. That line of thinking is starkly dangerous and should be universally condemned for what it is, insanity.

Hillary Clinton Tea Party Black Panthers Bristol Palin Newt Gingrich

No comments:

Post a Comment